Sunday, February 2, 2014

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Hello, my name is Becky and I am an American living in Bahrain.

Today's expat blog challenge prompt is the J.R.R. Tolkien quote "Not all those who wander are lost." To be honest, when I hear this quote, I think of all the hippies in my hometown, Portland, Oregon USA. Many have this quote on their VW bugs. I can practically smell the patchouli.

But it is interesting. While not a hippie or hipster, I do think I am a product of the American west. On my mom's side, my ancestors were Mormon pioneer stock. When I was living in Utah, I learned just how many different places my relatives had settled. I marveled at their stories of selling all their belongings, traveling from Europe to the US via boat, then trekking via covered wagon and handcart to a wild and desolate place and trying to eek out a living. Lots of tales of hardship. But they were driven by faith they were called to go Utah Territory, a place where they could practice their religion in peace and make the desert bloom like a rose through hard work and determination.

My dad is an immigrant. His family came over from Europe when he was young seeking economic opportunities not available to them at home. They said goodbye to family and friends and left for parts unknown. Modern pioneers. And they realized the dream of the American middle class.

Oregon, where I grew up, is also full of pioneer heritage. We learned about Lewis and Clark and the Oregon Trail in school. I think legacies of that pioneer heritage is a firm belief in the American dream- but more than that- maybe a belief that you can chase / carve out a destiny and truly reinvent yourself and at if you work hard enough and a certain grit or moxie. When I first read the Little House on the Prairie books, I really got Pa's desire to go west and was a little sad all the wild places were now settled.

But not quite. After a decade settled in a small farming town, we found ourselves with the same desire to seek out something else. Economic / career opportunities, adventure, a different life. Plus there was that knowledge we were going for a purpose- we felt led by God to make this huge jump and go overseas- specifically to the Middle East.

I think my grandparents understood us going better than other family and friends. And after being here, I feel like I understand my grandmother more in particular. The first few days alone in a strange country, at home with a little one, isolated. Husband and child busy with work and school. And everything felt so strange and I felt so alone. And Bahrain isn't that tough at all. Most everyone speaks English and it is a small island- how lost can you get? She didn't speak English when they came to America. She told me once she learned by watching soaps. At my most homesick, I thought of her, took a deep breath and threw myself into finding my way and making a new home here.

My family and I never really wandered or felt lost. We went towards something, steadfastly and resolutely. I wonder now what new frontiers or adventures my children will feel drawn to and what their reasons for going will be.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I love reading your stories! This adventure always makes me wonder what new adventures my kids are going to want to seek out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is a lovely story to share, to see other members of your family pioneer into new lifestyles is a great learning lesson

    ReplyDelete