Sunday, February 9, 2014

Expat Syndrome

Hello, my name is Becky and I am an American living in Bahrain.


Today's expat blog challenge quote is:  "‘Expat Syndrome’ is a condition whereby many expatriates see mostly either the best of their own nationality & the worst of the locals, or see the opposite.” -T Crossley


I think there are moments of both for sure. During election time, I was surprised how divisive and ugly things were. I dreaded my Facebook feed and was glad not to be at home to be honest. I find myself distancing myself a little from America, other Americans, American foreign policy, American pop culture, etc.


One thing I've really loved here is how family friendly the Middle East is. You can fly on a plane, go to a restaurant, go to a movie and kids are okay! Children are treasured and loved culturally.


One thing I see that is the worst about the Middle East is the crazy driving. Wear seat belts. Use car seats. Don't drive on the shoulder. Don't go 160 km/hr weaving in and out of cars with barely a car length while texting or talking on your phone. I want to get out of here alive, thanks.


One thing that I love more than ever about the USA... hard to pick, but two years ago we were back in our home town for the Fourth of July. I cried singing the National Anthem as the Boy Scouts raised the flag at a church breakfast. A veteran spoke, then we headed to the tiny town of George, Washington (the only city state named for a president!) for some famous cherry pie and fireworks. I really am a patriot, privileged to be from a great nation. But I also love my host country and am so grateful for the chance I have to experience the best (and worst) of both.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to hear how family friendly the Middle East is - I feel the same as you - I can be patriotic and see the best & worst in both countries.

    ReplyDelete