Monday, February 3, 2014

An object that makes me feel at home...

Hello, My name is Becky and I am an American living in Bahrain.
 
For day three of the expat blogging challenge, a photo of an object that makes me feel at home.
Okay- I know this is unusual, but the object that makes me feel at home is my travel alarm clock. It is my only alarm clock. I've had one of these for 15 years now. After my alarm clock bit the dust the night before a big early morning final sophomore year, my then-boyfriend loaned me his. I fell in love. With the alarm clock. (I returned it, bought my own, and broke up with boy.) My Timex Indiglow Travel Alarm Clock woke me up faithfully for the remainder of college, then on my wedding day. I checked the time on it when I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night when pregnant with my kids. Checked it compulsively the nights before big events or anytime we had to catch a plane in the morning. I bought several (four or five) at once so I would always have one after my first broke. It is small, keeps time well, the alarm is reliable and it glows blue when you hit the button so you can check the time during the middle of the night. It is pretty functional. My son just melted the buttons on mine by putting it on the light bulb of my bedside lamp and it caused me a little bit of panic, until I appropriated my husband's identical clock for myself and gave him the melted one. It is a little thing that gives me such great security. Because I know that with it, I can go anywhere and be on time for my flight. Other gadgets may out date, but my trusty alarm clock is a constant in my life and I am so grateful no matter where I may roam, having it on my bedside table makes me feel at home.

4 comments:

  1. I actually love this concept, as I use my cel phone as my alarm clock and have mistakenly dialed people in the shuffle of trying to see the time in the middle of the night (D'oh!). I can feel through your writing how comforting it is for you, which made me quite comfortable (after a ridiculously long professional development meeting at the end of the day today). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. I always need to know what time it is, can never be without a clock around, especially when I go to bed. My husband never keeps a clock by his bed, and I cannot understand how he can function like that! I'd be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How original, the constant companion of the clock. Your post kind of makes me want to run out and get an actual alarm clock for myself. I've been using my phone for ages. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to have so many memories attached to something in your home, it is often those everyday moments that become the most memorable.

    ReplyDelete