Thursday, June 9, 2011

One suitcase of ?

It looks like the best, most economical way to get us and our stuff over there is to each take one carry on of all the clothes we want and one checked bag of ?. Then we will buy anything else we might need there. I think shipping will be a hassle and hope to avoid it if we can.

The kids will each get a suitcase of toys- which I hear are pricey over there. I think that will fit a few of Ev's favorite Barbies, Polly Pockets with two little princess cottages and camper van, her Leapster, legos, two favorite stuffed animals and two anthology type storybooks. And maybe her sheets and blanket if we cram.

I am having a harder time figuring out Edward's because toddlers change so much. He has really taken to his Thomas train lately, but a bunch of Thomas moms have warned me lately not to let him go down that very costly path! He loves his little play kitchen and play food, but it is kind of big. We were thinking Playmobile because both kids could play with it. Roger votes for blocks. I think his Chuck trucks and Hot Wheels would be good. I have a NIB Hot Wheels track from our present closet I thought about taking for him- but I keep thinking it is too hard still and will be for quite a while. I need to buy him sheets and a blanket but might wait until we are there. He loves his puppy Pillow Pet, but it is so big. He loves his two little bears and small stuffed dinos. And he loves all his board books. Which take up a lot of space.

My suitcase? I have no idea. I was going to sneak my cookie sheets in our carry ons since they are flat and wouldn't take up much room. My pots and pans are nice, so is my silverware- so I thought about those two. How random though! I will need to make sure not to go over the weight allowance too- (purchased a luggage scale!). I thought about bringing the Settlers of Catan (with a few other small games squeezed in the box?). I was going to buy and take two new paperbacks- Persuasion and North and South or Cranford maybe. Or maybe At the Alter or Among the Shadows or The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. I was thinking about taking some card making supplies- cards are expensive there- stamp set and matching cardstock and envelopes? I have watched North and South, the movie, like an addict since I started packing. It just plays in the background and calms me instantly. I may need a new period drama to handle the stress of unpacking in Bahrain- so I might buy P&P or Under the Greenwood Tree!

Roger is getting a Nook- the perfect excuse as it is not worth shipping boxes of books when you can just download them all on a small device. (I was going to bring my BH&G cookbook, but Evelyn spilled milk all over it and all the pages are stuck together and no amount of patient steaming with remedy it. Roger said we could download it. I pointed out cookbooks are pretty abused as it is- maybe another paper version would be better!)

Roger has studied up on all the hacks to turn the Nook into a tablet computer. He assures me it will be the perfect plane accessory. He will have it loaded with a game for Evelyn, a Wiggles movie for Edward, and a few books for me. (I still need the paperbacks- for bathtub reading.) He will be the lightest packer for sure- he plans on getting most of his clothes new over there- all of his are pretty worn after the end of the school year anyway and he needs shirts and ties there, not polos.

I will gladly take his extra space!

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine having one suitcase of clothes for a whole year. I'd go nuts. Good luck with all the packing. If you need to unload a kid or two for a little while let me know!

    ReplyDelete