Friday, December 2, 2011

A Library!

I joined a library! I was overjoyed to find it. It is in the nearby Awali development, which was built in the 1960s? to house British oil workers. It still houses Bapco employees, which is the Bahrain Petrol Company and sub contractors. We have American friends that live there and the husband is with Chevron. Anyway- the whole development is very faded colonial glory. It has a library and most of the books are from that era. It smells like moldering old books. There are copies of old Awali magazines from the 1960s when it was the height of society on the island and a scrapbook of Queen Elizabeth's visit to Awali in 1979. Ah the glory of old.
It cost me $11 BD or $30 US to join for 6 months. With this money, they buy ten new books a month, so I was happy to pay it. I get three books and two magazines a time, checked out for two weeks. They have cards, not barcodes and are stamped with the due date. They have a card catalog! Almost all of the authors they stock are British, so I am picking up all kinds of new things- like zucchinis are courgettes, etc. Roger is a bit worried I will get the whole library read through soon, but I am pacing myself.
The Gingerbread library is for the kids. It was $5 BD for both kids to join, like $13.30. They also get three books each. Edward is so happy they have a smattering of Thomas the Tank Engine. What more could our family want?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. You seriously need a library, where ever you are. Even if most the books are oldies.

    ReplyDelete