Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Don't get too jealous...

of my gas prices because everything else is super expensive. Groceries, sheets, toys, etc. For example, a $20 toy in the US is still a $20 BD toy here- but that means it is 2.65 times more expensive in dollars. Roger is dying for some homemade chocolate chip cookies, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $3 BD for a bag ($3 would be pushing it!) I am trying to figure out the cheaper staples- bread is cheap- milk seems okay- it is .950 BD, so - fruits and vegis seem to be okay- I try to go for the ones between .5 and .7 BD (which is 500 to 700 fills) per kilogram. Too much math at the grocery store!

2 comments:

  1. It's called 'schtikkerschock" (:-). Reminds me of when we arrived in the U.S. in 1960. We had a four day train ride ahead of us, so we decided to get some ready to eat groceries. I went off the dock into the adjacent (italian) neighborhood. Found a little grocery store, and asked for prices. EVERYTHING was "One-ah Dollaare". With an exchange rate of about 4.75 guilders for one dollar, that was outrageous of course. But what's a "Pappa" to do ? Oh well, it's many moons ago, and we know that this guy "saw us coming "
    Once I started earning wages in dollars, things got a lot better. And later on the train ride, we met some very nice people who would get us apples and other stuff for the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell you what, if we get some good sales on chocolate chips here I'll send you over some bags. :)

    ReplyDelete