Thursday, August 25, 2011

cruisin in Hamad Town

I've been pretty chicken about driving here. I've just driven twice or three times, maybe? The drivers are aggressive and fast, although a lot better than the drivers in Egypt, I'm told. And there are roundabouts everywhere instead of the nice traffic lights I am used to. I don't like the yields not stops and fluidity of lanes. (Yield here is "Give Way"). Evelyn has a playdate in Hamed Town today, an area whose claim to fame is 24 roundabouts. Roger did a dry run with me last night at dusk when the streets were pretty empty due to being so close to the break the fast time. And he dropped her off this morning with me. So picking her up is my do or don't moment which will determine if I am going to be a shut-in the rest of our time here.
The problem is, right now I am fine being a shut-in. I have chores, the kids, the Internet, books, ect. and if worse comes to worse, I can make it to Lulu's (the grocery store- left, right, left) and the Awali Hospital (just two roundabouts away). But I am sure sooner or later I will miss adult interaction and shopping.
I better go grab those keys!

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you about being chicken. You'll get the hang on it, I'm sure.
    It has been fun to follow your blog and I'm so glad we can get on and hear about your new lives. Good luck driving. Be safe!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow that's a whole lot of round abouts. I never got used to the few that were down in Utah, so I really feel for ya. That's nice she's already found someone to have a playdate with though.

    ReplyDelete