Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kids in Bahrain

What is really nice about living here in Bahrain is that everyone loves kids. Edward has been picked up and held by more strangers than I can count. He has had his picture taken with over 15 total strangers- several at the wildlife park where my blonde haired blue eyed boy was as exotic as all the animals! He has already taken lots of candy from delighted strangers in the malls. One time I was in the store and he was pitching the biggest fit. I didn't get any glares or dirty looks- instead an older couple came over and started making faces at him and gave him a treat- which instantly turned things around. How nice is that! And whenever I've struggled to juggle stroller and toddler, someone is always holding the door, offering to help out. People are so very kind here. I found out baby boys are especially valued- sorry girls- but it isn't very pronounced or obvious. Large families are also smiled on here. Children are a blessing from God.
It seemed like the Dutch and Germans also really liked kids- we got a lot of kind smiles and assistance there as well with our kids- special lines at the Van Gough museum for less waiting and easier stroller access and help on the buses and no charge for the kids.
So nice. I was just thinking I wished the USA was more that way- but if anyone tried to take photos of my kids, pick them up or give them candy I would be calling the police! So what is it? A culture thing? More weirdos per capita there? Am I just not as mistrustful here? Hmmm...
International teachers tend to have no kids or one or two kids max, because schools don't want to pay for a lot of dependants to come over every year, housing, tuition, etc.- plus it would just be difficult with a big family. The Department of Defense teachers are a little less that way it seems. We are actually really lucky to have this job with me being not a teacher- I am a third dependant.

2 comments:

  1. I think people just keep to themselves more in the US. We're all about space. It's our cultural norm. So if someone does want to pick your kid up, they are going against the norm and are therefore probably creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. I was thinking the whole first paragraph "you just let him eat that candy from the strangers?" How nice it must be to not have to worry so much and to have help from people you don't know!

    ReplyDelete