Sunday, October 16, 2011

All for the mall?

I made it to the malls by myself last week! Yay! I even made a few wrong turns and came out okay. Maybe that is my new fitness plan- laps around the mall with Edward. Beats my previous fitness plan of doing all the moves to the Wiggles dances on our (seems like) daily watch of Hot Potato! During the mall laps I might even find a bargin or two if any are to be found for myself? I need some makeup (eyeshadow, blush), some long-sleeve shirts for winter (2 would do), new shoes (that aren't sandals) and a new Sunday outfit. I prepared everyone else better than myself- partly because I wasn't sure what I'd want or what would be appropriate for women here. The malls have higher-end stores and even the cheaper ones that I am kind of familiar with- H&M, Forever 21 and GAP are more expensive here. I am a cheapskate! I miss my local Target. There are so many malls to choose from here! I sometimes wonder how such a small island can sustain so many stores- who buys it all?
I also made it to the BSPCA (the Bahrain Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for Animals) thrift store in Budiya to hunt for used books. They are expensive for used $1.34 US but a steal of a deal compared to new. They are mostly chick lit, true crime and John Girsham / Tom Clancy, but there are a few gems. Unfortunately- some of the most promising book club type selections I've already read. They are shockingly bare on teen paranormal romance, novels set in post-apocalyptic / dystopian-worlds, light biographies of historical figures and the classics of literature. Which it turns out is what I read. I will buy four at a time and call it a good day if one in the batch is readable.
I bought a few used DVDs too- Edward insisted on Steamies vs. Diesels (Thomas) for him and I got Arrested Development Season 3 for Roger, Wizards of Waverly Place Movie for Evelyn and Igor for the family. They were also $1.34 apiece. The Igor might be a pirated copy- but it is a nice one with a screen printed DVD and photocopied cover- I can't tell. It might be legit. The DVD store down the street has binders you flip through- full of photocopied DVD covers. You make a list of what you want, the guy goes to the back, rips them to DVD and hands them to you for $2.68 a piece US. Hmm...
I almost bought a Christmas tree from the BSPCA too- but is was really dusty, loosing its needles and had no stand. The ladies there told me they might have some more in the next few weeks when they brought out their Christmas cubby. So I will hold out!
So glad I finally got the courage to venture out! Amazing how motivating going stir-crazy can be.

1 comment:

  1. Love Arrested Development. It seems like used bookstores never have the teen paranormal type books i like, even here. Good luck finding a good one here and there!

    ReplyDelete