Thursday, January 20, 2011

One Pretty Thing


I am so addicted to the crafting blog One Pretty Thing! I go every day to see the Daily DIY Craft Roundup. I have been known to spend hours going through the site archives, bookmarking different projects I want to complete some day!

One of the Valentine's posts, from Heart-Hands-Home inspired me to make a Valentine's Kissing Ball out of crepe paper. You just rip off a length of streamer- about 24-30 inches, crumple up, uncrumple, and then pinch one end while you twist, fluff and gather, forming individual roses. It takes some practice, my first attempt looked terrible, but my second looked great. You are supposed to use a glue stick on the pinched end to keep the roses from unraveling, but I just dabbed some hot glue on the rolled end when I was finished and they seem to be staying together pretty well. Then, you just hot glue the roses onto a styrofoam ball. Halfway through, after two rolls of streamers, I ran out of materials, so the project is on hold for now until I do my weekly shopping and return with more Dollar Store crepe paper. This is the top half completed. I will post photos of the final product when done.

I don't really decorate for Valentine's Day. Like at all. My family gets some kind of heart shaped food that day. Yay for cookie cutters- magically transforms a sammie from yucky to lucky! I always hope R will bring me some flowers, which will then be our "decor", but I think last year I ended up with See's Candy fruit truffles instead- apple pie, key lime, lemon, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry- I am drooling while typing. (Which were gone much more quickly than they should have been.) Lucky me!
But maybe its time I turn over a new leaf. E1 loves everything fancy and would love pink and lace all over the place. Maybe I'll do an easy-breezy printable banner for now and scour the web for more ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment